September is Deaf Awareness Month, the perfect time to show appreciation and admiration for the history of our Deaf community. It is also a great time to learn ways to support the Deaf community in our own lines of business.
"According to the World Health Organization, more than 5% of the world’s population has ‘disabling’ hearing loss, which requires rehabilitation, support and/or advocacy. Additionally, more than 1 billion young adults are at risk of permanent hearing loss due to unsafe listening practices. It is estimated that more than 700 million people – or 1/10 people – will have disabling hearing loss by 2050. When unaddressed, hearing loss can impact individuals in various ways, including their communication and speech, cognition, education and employment opportunities, social isolation, and mental health." - Source: Hearing Like Me
In the real estate industry, it is becoming increasingly more important to find ways to make obtaining homeownership accessible to all, regardless of any impairments or disabilities. Here are some tips and resources:
- Learn American Sign Language
- Using an app: The ASL App
- Online: ASL Connect
- Through Social Media: Signed With Heart
- Volunteer at California School for the Deaf, Riverside
- Research ASL Interpreters in your area so you are prepared in the event of a Deaf client needing assistance
- Study: The impact of hearing loss on mental health
Don’t have time to volunteer? Make a donation to California Association of the Deaf!